I saw a few different things on Pinterest that I thought I could combine to make something that would work for me. These were the inspiration pieces:
I added a tray for rocks to help weight it down due to our wind gusts and detailed it with a monogram to personalize it a bit more.
Then I filled the jars with a gravel base, potting soil and seeded them with herbs. I added chalkboard tags that can be marked with which herb is growing where and then altered if I replant with something different. When the temps drop, I will bring it in for the winter. I have 8 jars of tiny green sprouts! It will be interesting to see how they grow.
This was project took more time than most due to the drying time of glue and paint between steps. In hindsight, I wouldn’t have used the scrap wood I had on hand. It wasn’t all straight or the quality I would want to use on a project that turned out this neat. I’d opt for the quality stuff. I think the hardest part was sanding off the fresh paint to give it the “shabby” look I was going for. To a perfectionist, doing things intentionally haphazardly is not easy.